Hello there, I haven't disappeared off the face of the Earth, though to some extent I probably have as I've been so absent from internet life lately. WHERE TO START?! The past three weeks or so have been SO full on and intense with mainly work and some potentially exciting new ventures too, but I also sort of lost a little bit of interest and passion for blogging in those few weeks too. I can't really explain why, I think part of my mind tried convincing me that I just need to let go of blogging and should just sit back and enjoy others blog instead.
You see, my issue with being a 'part-time blogger' is it's pretty much impossible to really get your blog out there, create engaging content and engage afterwards with your audience and create a strong social media presence. The moment you finish work, you are exhausted (especially if you work shifts like I do!) and there ain't no chance of you taking dreamy, bright photos for your blog because, hey, it's dark outside! And on your days off, you need to catch up with friends or just chill out and run other errands. Blogging is a FULL TIME JOB. If you have a blog it is expected to be constantly and consistently updated with seriously top-notch, editorial style content. It just is. There are thousands upon thousands of bloggers out there trying to make a name for themselves and stand out from the crowd. It's such an oversaturated market. So, when you don't have a great deal of time to commit to blogging, let alone much time to just let your mind breathe, the whole blogging world gets a bit tricky.
There are SO MANY bloggers I adore and am so inspired by and make blogging look easy peasy but they are the full time bloggers who pretty much spend 7 days a week (round of applause to them). When you look at your Google Analytics and follower counts etc, it's disheartening when you see your Bounce Rate isn't quite what it should be, and your Sessions/Users figures have dropped dramatically. You can only do so much when you're in this world part-time, despite your best efforts. Perhaps this is just a blip and things will pick up again soon, but who knows. What I can say though, is that I really, really want to try and smooth things out again!
Aaaaaanyway. Updates and loves lately and all that wonderful stuff!
1. I've seriously been trying to improve my sleep in the past month or so and I got off to a really good start by going to bed at 10pm every night and reading a book until I can barely keep my eyes open anymore. This went swimmingly until the brilliant book I was reading came to an end and I've had to find a book that lives up to this particular book in question. Said book is Before I Go To Sleep which was just brilliant and gripping and continuously surprises you. The film adaptation is one to probably give a miss - it's only an hour and half long and doesn't build up the tension you feel in the book, which is a real shame. Any other gripping, psychological thriller-esque book recommendations are seriously welcome!
2. I'm so late to the bandwagon, but I'm starting to become one of those people who can't stop buying candles. Who am I?! My current favourites are The White Company's Fresh Fig (it was on a 20% off promotion, so I quite happily snapped it up) and the delicious Apricot & Basil candle from Anthropologie. Both of them are just so scrummy and fresh and totally have me craving sunshine and warm weather.
3. Back to psychological thriller's, I finally watched Gone Girl last weekend and oh my word. What a film. Sorry to those of you who are screaming at me to read the book now, but as it's such a tense and dramatic story, I feel it'd be a waste to read the book as the build up of events just wouldn't be there for me as I know pretty much what happens. One particular scene towards the end of the film has completely scarred my mind for life and left me totally numb, so whether you've read the book or not, watch the damn film!
4. I'm loving the subtle signs of Spring that is in the air at the moment! Last weekend was the Bath Half Marathon so we had the windows open and could hear all the cheering of the crowds, but the nicest thing was that our flat wasn't bitterly cold and the bright sunshine lighting up every room. I'm so bored of cold, wet, grey weather now so I cannot wait for the days when I can leave the flat with no jacket and sunglasses becoming part of my every day uniform.
5. Annie! Annie is a Norwegian, independent pop singer who has a small but perfectly formed, cult following and she releases the catchiest, coolest pop songs. She released a new EP at the end of last year that I've only just got round to enjoying and I am totally obsessed! I've been a fan for a few years now but Endless Vacation is some of her best work and is full of slinky, glittery Euro-pop songs that you won't be able to get out of your head for days. Out Of Reach is my personal favourite and I love the kitsch EP cover, complete with Popstars font.
Finally, despite the blogging blip I've been having, there have been so many blog posts I've been loving lately that really have me excited and inspired to get some great content for you all...
- When's The Right Time To Have A Baby - Hannah Gale
- The Fitness Files: February - Vivianna Does Make-Up
- How To Build A Perfect Pinterest-Inspired Wardrobe - Bloomin' Rouge
- How To Use Google Analytics To Improve Your Blog - Media Marmalade
- 5 Tips To Help You Get Your Dream Job - Hannah Gale
- My Five New Healthy Eating Rules - A Model Recommends
- How To Work Out Your Career Path & Dream Job - Media Marmalade
- Belgian Brownie Cakelets - Smitten Kitchen
- The Results From My Fertility MOT - Hannah Gale (this made me SO happy!)
- My Labour Story - Pearls & Poodles (and this made me full on SOB)
- Carrot Cake Flapjacks - Celery & Cupcakes
- It's Ok... - Wholeheartedly Healthy
- A Trip To Brighton - Kate La Vie
- Things To Remember In Your Twenties - Dizzy Brunette
- My Relationship With Exercise - Hannah Gale (seriously, I love this woman)
- Stress and PCOS - Madeleine Shaw
- What's Your Excuse? Overcoming Your Barriers - Wholeheartedly Healthy
- Pros and Cons of Calorie Counting - Wholeheartedly Healthy (I love this woman too!)
- Workout Motivation: Where I Find It - Vivianna Does Make-Up
How have you all been lately? Did you have a good weekend? Any exciting updates to share? What have YOU been loving lately?