As I've said many times on SSL, I'm a big believer that in order to be healthy, this has to include guilt free indulgence. My rule, like many others is an 80/20 lifestyle (80% clean eating, 20% indulgence). My moments of indulgence this week all came at once, meaning super healthy choices for the rest of the week. Surprisingly, I managed very well. Wednesday saw me reunited with one of my oldest friends, Izzy, at Wahaca in Bristol. It was totally fab, and the food was brilliant too. We had a mojito each (which included tequila instead of rum - and oh my, I could taste that tequila...), 'street food' which involved quesedillas, sweet potato and feta taquitos and tacos, and of course, all the guacamole. Later that evening, I then had my friend Ben around and we ordered through the new Deliveroo service in town (and I cannot rave about it enough). I was well and truly stuffed, and still am in a way! I wrote all about the Importance of Indulgence several months ago, and I highly recommend giving it a read if you're unsure how to incorporate life's indulgences into a healthy diet.
This past week, however, really proved to me that you should never beat yourself for overindulging, as you simply pick yourself back up the next day, and make informed, healthier choices. Healthy living means balancing, and it really is so doable.
I seem to have hit a brick wall again in terms of my fitness and I don't quite know what's going on. After a consecutive six day week at work (weekend included), come Tuesday when my 'weekend; began I was absolutely exhausted and the idea of getting up and doing any form of exercise was simply a bad idea. This evening, I'm planning on sitting down and planning everything out, so food and exercise and I really hope I can report back next week with some great results!
My hair is overdue a haircut so fortunately I've got an appointment booked in at Melanie Giles in the week. I needed to change up my shampoo and conditioner however, as I felt my hair was 'getting used to' my old hair care (John Frieda Beach Blonde). I opted for the Aveda Shampure range as I feel that using products specifically for certain concerns often strips and dehydrates the hair, or just pumps it fills of all sorts of rubbish, leaving it pretty unmanageable. Having pretty pure shampoo and conditioner means if I use silicone heavy serums or hair masques, my hair won't be as weighed down by so many products. What are your thoughts on this?
I well and truly appreciated my friends this week and it was such a treat to be reunited with Izzy and also spend proper time with Ben too. I don't have a great deal of friends, but this isn't an issue for me. I'd much, much, much rather a handful of really great friends, than tonnes of friends who aren't really there for you. I spent many of my teenage years feeling you need to please and impress everyone, but that's just not possible. I don't have a great deal of friends where I'm currently living so it just made me appreciate my friends even more, and we're always able to pick up from where we left of, even if it means we haven't seen each other in months (or longer - sorry Izzy!).
- Sweeteners - it's easy to be deceitful and believe sweeteners are the healthy option. However, you need to do some research into which are beneficial and which are known to cause issues. Fortunately, the Lauren Conrad team have done the hard work for you.
- I fell back in love with the Made in Chelsea drama on Monday following the [spoiler alert] Binky and JP drama. Screw you, JP.
- Hands up who's excited for Autumn? Funnily enough, not me, however I cannot wait for butternut squash to be in season. When it gets a bit chillier, I'll certainly be whipping up this butternut squash smoothie that Laura wrote about. It sounds weirdly delicious!
- If you love a full, cooked breakfast but hate all of the hassle of washing up it requires, Rosie has rustled up your dream recipe - One Pan English Breakfast.
- My big, furry throw/blanket from Primark. £80+ elsewhere but £30 in Primark and brilliant quality. Basically, my new hiding place when the weather gets colder.
- I shouldn't be allowed to look after living things - my flowers always die too soon and I've even managed to kill my baby Cacti. I don't know how. Becky is here to save the day with her tips to make your flowers last longer.
- The post every skincare lover needs to read - how to read an ingredients label. The gobbledygook on the back of skincare products leaves my brain frazzled and confused, however Caroline has made things fool proof.
- Kate has revealed to the world her dream beauty stash. I'm going to need an almost identical collection pretty pronto...
- Throwing a three course dinner at home instead of going out. YAY to being poor!
What have you been loving this week? What are your views on indulging whilst living a healthy lifestyle? What are your views on having a few amazing friends vs. lots of friends/acquaintances?